IVF treatment is a complex procedure performed to help with fertility or else to prevent genetic problems and help the conception of a child. All through the IVF process, mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries and fertilized by sperm in an IVF lab, and after that, fertilized eggs or eggs are transferred to a uterus. It takes about three weeks to complete one full IVF cycle . in some cases above steps are also divided further, and the cycle can take a longer time. IVF is boon to childless couples and is an effective form of assisted reproductive technology. The process can be performed by using your own eggs, sperm or embryos termed as an anonymous donor. In many cases, a woman having an embryo implanted in her uterus might be used. Chances of having a healthy baby through IVF entirely depends upon many factors counting
- Cause of infertility
The overall IVF procedure is expensive, time-consuming as well as invasive. IVF cost in India ranges from USD 3500 to USD 4000, and the process can also result in multiple pregnancies if more than one embryo is transferred to the uterus.
When is IVF needed
IVF is a fertilization process done for infertility or genetic problems. In cases with infertility, you and your partner may try less invasive methods before IVF like taking fertility medications to increase the production of eggs or else intrauterine insemination. IVF is recommended to women with infertility problems with over 40 years of age. It can also be recommended to people having some health conditions too. You should opt for IVF if you or your partner have below listed condition:
- Fallopian tubes are damaged or blocked and which makes it difficult for eggs to be fertilized, or it makes it difficult for an embryo to travel to the uterus.
- If ovulation is absent and fewer eggs are available for fertilization.
- If endometriosis occurs
- When women have uterine fibroids and it is common in women with 30 to 40 years of age.
- If women have prior tubal sterilization or removal, which is done to prevent pregnancy permanently.
- If your partner has a weak movement of sperm or has abnormalities in sperm size and shape.
- If semen abnormalities are found
- If unexplained infertility is there
- If in case you or your partner has a genetic disorder and has a risk of passing it to your child.
- If in case you have to start cancer treatment and chemotherapy can harm your fertility.
Important things to keep in mind before starting a cycle of IVF
There are many things that you should know and should ask the IVF specialist before starting the IVF cycle :
- The number of embryos transferred will be based on age and the number of eggs retrieved. However, the implantation rate is lower in older women. The doctor follows specific rules to prevent multiple pregnancies.
- Extra embryos can be stored and frozen for several years for future use. Mostly all embryos can survive the freezing and thawing process. In this way, the future IVF cycle will be less expensive and less invasive too.
- Handling multiple pregnancies can be a chance if more than one embryo is transferred to the uterus. however, it can also pose some health risks, and it’s the responsibility of the IVF specialist to talk to you regarding this.
What to expect after the IVF process
IVF Treatment cost in India ranges from USD 3500 to USD 4000. After the successful embryo transfer patient can resume normal daily routine activities; however, the doctor advised avoiding vigorous activities that can cause discomfort. Some side effects after the IVF process include:
- Breast tenderness
- Mild bloating
- Passing a bloody fluid just after the process
- Mild cramping
Generally, the specialist recommends a two-week wait between the transfer and your first pregnancy test. Undoubtedly patience is difficult at this stage, but taking a home pregnancy test too early can also give you misleading results. All through these two weeks, the most important thing is to make it easy and take plenty of sleep, avoid any harmful substances, including caffeine, alcohol, as well as tobacco. Avoid vigorous exercise, and sexual intercourse is recommended to all patients after IVF treatment.